Less-than-truckload (LTL) is a shipping method best suited for commodities that can be palletized and sent together but do not fill a full trailer. Because LTL provides a solution for shipments of varying sizes and weights, it is a more cost-effective option for freight that is too large for a package but too small for a full truckload.
Let us have a look at the key benefits that businesses get when they choose LTL shipping.
1. Quicker Delivery
The most significant benefit of LTL shipping is that you no longer have to wait for a full truckload to deliver your goods to your customer. You can book your items immediately and have them on their way to the consignee as soon as possible, rather than waiting for sufficient orders in an area to optimize your load or sending a half-empty truck.
2. Safe Shipping
The items shipped via LTL shipping are meticulously wrapped and loaded into the truck before they are transported. This is done to prevent products from being damaged or destroyed during transit. It is typical for things to be damaged during freight forwarding, which is why many businesses prefer to employ LTL shipping for their operations.
3. Ship Small Shipments
LTL shipping is highly flexible, and via this option, you can transport even the smaller loads throughout the country rather than waiting for a total cargo to be cost-efficient. This benefit of LTL shipping enables small enterprises to efficiently move their goods while being profitable.
4. Lower Transportation Cost
For the same lane, LTL shipment is often far less expensive than FTL transportation. Choosing to send your goods in smaller loads with those of other businesses lowers the overall shipping cost for everyone. It can be challenging to fill a vehicle to its maximum capacity when a single company ships its products. Smaller loads or partial shipments from various businesses use less fuel and require fewer trucks to transport their cargo.
Eco-friendliness is becoming an essential style of operation for an increasing number of businesses. When you consider the present rate of climate change and the carbon footprint, you’ll find it difficult to find eco-friendly alternatives. Fortunately, when it comes to shipping, LTL is one of the more environmentally friendly solutions. LTL helps transportation businesses be significantly greener by lowering the amount of fuel and trucks required for shipping. So, consider using LTL freight transportation if you’re searching for a simple approach to make your shipments more environmentally friendly.
6. Multiple Shipping Options
The majority of LTL shipping companies provide a variety of shipping choices. These options assist you in more effectively planning your shipments. Here are a few examples:
- Expedited shipping – If you want your goods to arrive sooner than the typical transit time, you can choose expedited shipping. This is a more expensive choice. However, it is quite beneficial for an emergency delivery.
- Liftgate – Using a liftgate is the best option if your cargo is hefty. Also, if the receiving location lacks a transparent dock for goods, consider using it.
- Limited access – This form of LTL is appropriate for regions with restricted access for safety concerns. Therefore, you should use this type of delivery for your building sites or remote areas.
- Custom delivery windows – Custom delivery windows are available if you require your shipment to arrive within a specified time frame. Most businesses will work with you to tailor your offer to their needs. This enables them to cope with transportation cost-effectively and efficiently. As a result, this method can be pricey and should therefore be utilized with caution.
7. Easy Shipment Tracking
If you dispatch regular shipments, LTL shipping is a good option because it allows easy tracking and tracing. For decades, the LTL business has provided clear visibility to shipment locations. You and your clients can keep an eye on your shipments at all times using top-of-the-line tracking solutions. Thanks to the tracking solutions offered, you can get easy access to your freight’s current status and position from anywhere, even your mobile device.
Whether you’re shipping locally or nationwide, it can be a frustrating and time-consuming process. LTL shipping allows you to deliver your cargo to their destinations faster and more efficiently than other modes of transportation. When one ship the product with an LTL carrier, you can rest assured that your product will arrive at the final destination in good condition. You can even keep track of your shipment and its whereabouts with the help of today’s technological advances. This makes LTL shipping companies accountable for meeting their guaranteed delivery dates while also ensuring that you are aware of the location of your item.